Saturday, May 10, 2014

Meeting My Chaperone and Other Group Members

I woke up this morning feeling so excited. I wanted to leave a good impression on everyone that I would be going to Columbia with and I was hoping that I'd like them as well. 

I had a great time today when I was introduced to my chaperone and the other members of my Columbia group. My chaperone, Joyce Thrift, welcomed us into her home and had a delicious meal prepared for us. I was the first to arrive and  I was introduced to her husband, Charles, and her father in-law. I also got to meet her cute dog Brandy. :)

I enjoyed the discussion we had at the table and I was happy to get to know her. I felt very comfortable in the inviting environment that she created in her household. Joyce and her husband were both very open and communicative, often being the ones to break the ice when no one else would. They also discussed the classes that we will be taking this summer and it really made me contemplate about the reasons that I'm taking this class and what I want to achieve while I'm in New York this summer. 


While I was there I also got to know Lisa, Emily, Michelle, Justin, and Kendal a bit better. They also discussed their academic goals and interests.  By listening and observing them I was able to get a better sense of the type of people that they are. They are each very individualistic and opinionated but highly motived and ambitious. I think that we will make a unique group together and find out that we share more interests than we may have expected. 

In summary, I think our meet and greet was a success. I definitely want to get to know them better at the dinner that we have but until then I'm happy that I got to do this meet and greet!

2 comments:

  1. You’ve got a good group there, Monica. We made some good selections to come up with this group and so far you’ve proven to the world how wise the interview panelists were. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad our entire group seem to bond so quickly! I'm looking forward to us all getting to know each other better in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete