Monday, June 23, 2014

A Day of New Experiences

My first time... taking a Constitutional Law class, riding the subway, meeting so many new people that I can't keep track, eating in the John Jay dining common, and seeing Times Square. This morning (which feels so long ago) I woke up at 7:30 to go to breakfast with my suitemates and my RA. We all went to John Jay, the dining common, for the first time and got a glimpse at the place we'll be eating for the next three weeks. It is a hall that can hold about 400 people with vintage wood tables and chairs and there are a lot of options set up in a buffet style to choose from for every meal- definitely an upgrade from the typical school cafeteria.. After breakfast, I met up with Ms. Thrift and a couple of the Columbia ILCers so that we could set up a schedule. Then, off to class in the Hamilton building. I walked in to a room with about 35 seats and wondered how the entire class would fit since only about half of the seat were filled. It turns out, there are only nineteen people in my class! This class is a completely different experience from any class I have ever taken. Although it is small, everyone is incredibly smart and outspoken which was very intimidating. However, my professor, Luke MacInnis, is very encouraging and welcomes every student to participate in class. We even played a game for extra credit on our quiz this Friday! I already know that this class will be challenging due to the subject and work load, but I love a challenge and will work really hard to do my best in class.
The dining common
At lunch break, the Columbia HSP threw a first day extravaganza for all the Columbia high schoolers. There were booths set up on Low Steps with music and the extravaganza had a happy party atmosphere. It was a beautiful, sunny day and the perfect weather for Zumba, henna tattoos, speed friending, (like speed dating but for friends) and taking polaroid pictures. RAs were giving out flyers, candy, and water, advertising clubs and opportunities on campus. It was a lot of fun and a great way to meet people. I am glad I went because it was a warm welcome and break to the first day of school which can be daunting to anyone.

After class, I made plans to go out with Emily, Kendall, Michelle, Monica, and some girls. We ended up going to Times Square on and RA trip. It was breathtaking and no matter how many pictures I took or vocabulary I have, nothing can come close to the experience of Times Square, or the subway for that instance. There are so many lights, smells, emotions that go along with living in New York it can be a little overwhelming. On top of that, homework is plenty to get me feeling all types of ways as well. Today was a day of firsts and I am happy with how I spent it and who I experienced it with. There are and so many international and diverse students here that I can't get bored of the people here. My first day was promising.
Times Square
Ms. Green and I in the m&m store in Times Square

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy to hear that your class size is so small. I'm sure this will lead to a lot of great discussions. Plus, it will be easier to make an impression on your professor.

    ReplyDelete