Wednesday, June 18, 2014

My Thoughts on Dartmouth

Today we toured Dartmouth in Hanover, New Hampshire. I had to wake up at 5 A.M. to get prepared to leave at 6 A.M. Although breakfast has been healthy and I've been trying to get enough sleep, I really think the fast paced movement of the trip definitely took a toll on my mood and my energy level on this day of the trip. I was excited to see Dartmouth but wasn't really sure what to expect.
Dartmouth is an alluring campus and its greenery and colonial style buildings make the campus seem authentic. The information session focused on access, flexibility, and engagement. These three characteristics of Dartmouth provide individualized attention to the students and allow them the freedom to pursue their own academic goals. The financial aid, study abroad programs, and undergrad research all support the students to create their own preferred academic experience. Our tour guide spoke about her own experience and how she felt like Dartmouth was right the fit for her.
After the tour, we had lunch at the Pine restaurant in Hanover which was very close to the campus itself. I sat with Lisa Romero and conversed about Dartmouth with a student named Eloise. Eloise told me about how she grew up in Hanover and decided to attend Dartmouth. Similarly to the dinner last night, I learned about her transition from high school to college and what changed about her life. She also shared with me how the curriculum and student opportunities benefitted her. I got to listen to her while I was eating some amazing food as well. 
Beef Sandwich with French Fries
Strawberry Shortcake

The lunch allowed me to understand the perspective of a Dartmouth student. I wasn't particularly interested in Dartmouth because it's not located in a metropolitan area, but besides that, it really is an amazing school and I'm going to consider applying there after doing some more research.

I never got to speak about the research that I did about Harvard, so here are some fun facts about Harvard, hope you enjoy.

Harvard Fun Facts
-Harvard is located in Cambridge and was established in 1636 and is the oldest educational institute for higher learning
-large financial endowment of over $30 billion
-possessed America's first printing press
-was originally created to train Puritan ministers
-became more liberal after the 18th century Enlightenment
-founder of the NAACP, W.E.B. Dubois was the first African-American students
-Harvard tries to identify and recruit talented students as opposed to wealthy and entitled students, contrary to popular belief
-The library is the 4th largest in the world and has more than 18 million volumes

No comments:

Post a Comment