Sunday, June 15, 2014

So Long, Farewell, Auf Weidersehen, Goodbye

For the past few weeks, I've been so eager to leave for the East Coast, but my feelings ALMOST wavered today. When I first woke up, I remembered that my friends just boarded their bus which was headed for Camp Royal. A part of me really wished that I could have gone too, but because it takes place during the ILC trip, I had to make a decision between the two. It would have been cool to be with my friends and learn new leadership skills, but I know that we'll all come back from our trips with more knowledge and interesting stories. I remember crying over a similar situation in middle school, but as time has passed, I've realized that everyone has to make decisions in life; and they only get more difficult as we age.


Secondly, since it's Father's Day, my family from Los Angeles and Oakland came over to celebrate. We visited my grandfather at the cemetery and then had dim sum. It hit me that I wouldn't be seeing my parents or any other family members for the next month. Although I don't think that I'll be homesick, I know that it'll be different without them. I'll be forced to be independent(yikes!), but it'll all be a part of the learning experience. 

Dim sum with Grandma(on the left) who's repping Cornell! 
Now that I'm all packed up and resting at home, all the excitement that has been building for the past three months is back! In between reading the messages in my yearbook, I got to look at the newer itinerary. I'm still crazed about the list of schools we're visiting. And on top of that, we're going to be in one of the biggest tourist attractions in the world! Being in New York City is definitely going to a blast. I also really look forward to the Presidential Powers course. I truly love the Bay Area and the people that are here, but I'm so ready to be immersed in a new place with new people. There's still so much more to learn and I know that I'm going to miss New York when it's time to come back. But it's way too early to be thinking about that! For now, I just want to live in the moment and make the most out of this amazing opportunity. 
A peep into my suitcase.

No comments:

Post a Comment