Thursday, July 3, 2014

Another Rainy Day

Today was one of the calmest days so far for me. We're starting to advance in class to the subject of civil and individual rights. Today we studied Plessy vs. Ferguson, the Dred Scott Decision, and Brown vs. Board of Education. As a class we were able to come to the conclusion that although facilities may be separate, that doesn't necessarily mean that they are equal. We also learned that when you separate two group of people, it can make one group feel inferior to the other. One student in my class brought up how his prom wasn't desegregated until eight years ago. It still puzzles me to think about what a gradual process race inclusion has been in a country that claims to uphold the rights of all individuals. This is why I chose to write my opinion paper on affirmative action. Although it is a controversial topic, I'd like to understand more about it.

I spent the rest of the afternoon trying to stay awake. I'm still feeling under the weather and some of the RA trips got cancelled again because of the storm that happened later on today. I'm not disappointed because this way I am able to get some rest and focus on writing my paper. However, I'm definitely excited to be moving into the weekend so I can have time to go out into the city. Toodles : )

No comments:

Post a Comment