Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Pleasantly Peaceful

My Business and Economics class has actually been very intriguing lately. Today we learned about mutual funds and hedge funds. They're basically the same thing, but the people who are extremely rich use hedge funds because there are loopholes in the law that will reduce their taxes which makes it easy for them to get more rich. Things like this are a large problem in America and contributes to our growing gap between the upper and lower classes. Instead of benefiting the people who are already millionaires, we should be focusing on the people who are struggling to make ends meet and need extra assistance and tax cuts. We also learned a lot about using Microsoft Excel today. I just wish I would've known how to use it while I was taking calculus last year because it's a very good tool when one is dealing with complex equations. 

Today was the first day that I didn't go anywhere after class and it was really beneficial for me. For the past week, I've been keeping my schedule booked with different things I want to do while I'm in New York. I actually got invited to a couple of outings and I was originally going to go to the Chelsea Art Gallery, but I decided to take a day to myself. I feel really good about it because now I'm able to finish up on my laundry, clean my room, and maybe even get six hours of sleep! After classes ended I lounged around in some of my friends' rooms and chatted about our classes and personal lives. I even learned that I share the same taste in music as my friend Lily. It's surprising how much you don't know about the people that you spend every day with. I want to spend more days like this, but at the same time, I want to go out and experience every aspect of the city that I can. This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance and I feel like I can't afford to miss a second of it.

1 comment:

  1. You didn't know your Mom was an Excel pro?? I have so many hidden talents:-) Shush don't tell anybody!

    ReplyDelete