Friday, July 11, 2014

Changed for the Better

My day was filled with some sad things, but also a lot of great things. Today did not feel like the last day of class at all. First of all, Emily, my roommate and I woke up early and headed out at seven to get cronuts (a cross between donut and croissant). I was so excited! I had read about their deliciousness and heard about how they are unique to New York, so of course I had to try them. Unfortunately, there was a huge line. It went around the corner and it moved so. Slow. By the time we were at the front of the line, we had to hurry up and leave to make it to class, cronut-less and tired, but on time. 

Although I could not get a cronut for breakfast, I was okay at lunch because there was live jazz music in front of Hartley, the residential building, with organic popsicles. I went straight for the popsicles of course and then enjoyed the jazz music for a little bit. It was a beautiful day. The sun was out and the good vibes were going, a perfect day to appreciate all the great things in the world. 
Mango Hibiscus popsicle
In the first part of class, everything seemed ordinary, not final at all. My teacher went over affirmative action Supreme Court cases with the class and we had an open-discussion like normal. However, things felt like they were coming to an end in the afternoon class. We had the final debates and I was arguing a hypothetical case about a man named Tookie Williams who was convicted of murder, was a Nobel Peace Prize candidate, and on death row. My side argued that his 8th and 14th Amendment rights were not infringed upon. It was a tough debate and felt very final once it was over. After that, Luke MacInnis, the professor, told us some parting words which affected me deeply. He asked what we had learned through this class and asked that we all stay in touch. It was meaningful and sad to know that I would not be going to this class anymore. I will not be going up six and seven flights of stairs anymore, nor will I be able to listen such intelligent arguments daily. Today was the first time in my three weeks at Columbia that I recognized just how much this class has changed me. I have a completely new outlook on politics and a new theory of thinking about issues. It is amazing how great this class was and I feel so honored to be able to have taken it with such amazing people.
Chase and Maria

Whit!
Then, came the beginning of the goodbyes. It was difficult to know that I was never going to see my friends from class ever again. It was painful because I have had great times with them. We began our goodbyes, took pictures, promised to stay in touch through social media, and headed back to the Carman, our dorm. It hit me hard then. That it was all over. But, my RA Kayleigh knows how to cheer a girl up because she, Keira my roomie, and I went to Greenwich Village to have Molly's Cupcakes. Not only did it supersede the cronuts this morning with its fabulous flavor, but it was a great bonding experience on my last day. 
Molly's Cupcakes is so trendy!
The Cookie Monster and Mr. Speculoos
Finally, to end the night, I went to the Final Dance in Lerner Hall for the Columbia High School Program. It was Hollywood themed, but Keira and I didn't expect anyone to dress up so we went in flip flops and T-shirts. However, we made up for our lack of fashion sense with awesome dance moves. I didn't think it would be that fun, but it was and afterward, Emily, Michelle, and a girl from New York named Willow came over. Casual and fun, it was a great end to my last night. I am sure there will be a lot of shenanigans in the hallway tonight since it is the last night. I don't think I'll be getting much sleep, but that's okay because these are friends I am so happy to have.
A polaroid of Keira and me at the dance
I feel bittersweet. Now, I am finishing packing my things. I cannot believe how quickly time has passed. I feel like I was just packing to come to the East Coast! I even remember waking up at 2:45 in the morning and stuffing a dress in my luggage. Now, I am moving out of what I have called home for the past three weeks. This time has definitely changed me, but not in a bad way. I feel more intelligent, brave, opinionated, and loved. I have a lot of good people in my life and I hope to stay in touch with all of them, whether they have been with me from the beginning of this journey or I met them on it. I came to Columbia searching for something, and I am leaving it finding a better version of myself.

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading in other blogs that your dance moves were more than AWESOME, Lisa. This is one of those times when a video clip would have been nice.

    ReplyDelete