Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Failure Is the Chance to do Better Next Time

I was under the weather again today, so I tried to pay pretty close attention in the second half of my class. We get to do debates tomorrow, which I don't know whether to feel excited for or anxious for. I am excited that we get to be active participants during class because that is something that I feel I've been missing out on. I'm also ready to move on from the "Freedom of Speech" arguments and get to some other amendments.
Half Eaten Chipotle Burrito
I've continued my Chipotle eating addiction, which I don't think will be stopping anytime soon. I had a much more relaxing late afternoon, I met with some friends that I met on an RA trip and shared snacks with them and played some UNO. I'm getting to be more connected with them and I feel like they're all cool, chill, people. 

On another note, today I also learned what I do and don't like about myself, and what I do and don't like about other people. I'm not afraid of taking a diplomatic stance on certain issues, but sometimes I can be too intense and overtly involved in certain issues. I think that this is because when I feel emotionally involved in something, then I can be much more judgmental. I reaffirmed my beliefs today that there are people that I will always respect, but will not like as people for whatever reason. For a long time I thought that I could change myself, or try to change other people to get things to work out with them. It took a lot of hard situations for me to realize that this is not the case. People will always have differing opinions, and that's ok. What I cannot respect is when people try to make their opinions my own or try to get me to not speak my mind. I am not a submissive person by nature, and I think that it is an important struggle for me to learn the difference between assertion and aggression when voicing my opinions. As the fortune cookie said, Failure is the chance to do better next time, and this is something that I think I achieved partially today. I am proud of how I handled myself and how I am willing to address my flaws and use them as a learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment